September 22, 2019, 10:33:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Links: Melksham DiaryMelksham Chamber of CommerceMelksham Hotels
News: A forum for everyone with an interest in Melksham. please register and contribute

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Market for Melksham starts 8th December  (Read 5407 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile
« on: December 01, 2009, 03:12:54 pm »

Melksham is to have a new market starting on Tuesday 8th December 2009. The Town Council agreed to a proposal from Laurence Williams of Northacre Trading to run a weekly general market in the Assembly Hall and the car park immediately adjoining the Town Hall (not the Market Place car park). There will be 18 to 20 traders offering a range of goods  from 7.30 9am until at 2pm.

(Thanks to Richard Wiltshire, who is Mayor or Melksham, for passing me this information)

See also http://www.wellho.net/mouth/2521_Melksham-Market-Tuesdays-09-00-to-14-00.html
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 03:44:42 am by grahame » Logged
PhilV

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 01:09:36 pm »

This is excellent news! I promise to visit on its opening day.

Melksham is a great place to live and work but not so good for shopping. With a large empty "Woolworths" and several smaller stores empty and unused it is my opinion we need to create a "critical mass" of varied and interesting shops in the town and encourage people to shop locally rather than travel to nearby towns.

Perhaps we could have a small section of the new market devoted to local food produce so we have some  form of Farmers Market?

regards
Phil
grahame
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 05:34:18 pm »

Hi, Phil, and welcome to the forum.   I couldn't agree with you more about "critical mass" - I'm very glad to see the market, and other positive changes too; let's see what Tuesday brings - I hope we have some local food there.  If we do, then I know I'll be looking at the market to supply som eof the food for our contribution to next year's food festival [Launch breakfast in at Well House Manor in January]
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

This forum is provided by Melksham Chamber of Commerce and Industry, but contributions are made on a personal basis and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Chamber. Whilst every attempt is made to ensure that only appropriate material is posted, moderation is a manual process so you may occasionally see material you feel should not be here. If that's the case, please email us or press the "notify" button.